The former central laundry of the Civils Hospices in Lyon was established in the Bellecombe district in 1877. The preservation of the heritage is the major focus of this project reconversion. The volumetry and the facades composition responds to a double objective: to highlight the building of the old laundry and to elaborate a new principle of composition of the buildings which conveys its own identity in a dialogue with the preserved building.
The laundry building was raised three levels to align with the new constructions. The kiosk located at the entrance of the site has also been maintained. The architecture of the new buildings is inspired by the industrial identity of the site. It reinforces the large verticals and preserves the crowning with a large cornice.
The whole thus as an overall coherence while asserting a specific writing to each part. The contrast between them, without hierarchy, reveals the value of each.
An example of functional, social and generational mix, this project of reconversion of a historical site is now articulated around a vast semi-public garden offering a large space to vegetation.